Sunday, May 18, 2008

NYSCATE 2008 Metro Conference

I was fortunate enough to present at and attend the NYSCATE 2008 Metro Conference this past weekend.

I will post later about my presentation (as soon as I have a chance to turn it into a podcast). For now, I just wanted to say how struck I was by presentations that I attended. Here are some highlights:
  • A librarian (and her colleagues) in a Rockland County, New York district came up with a low cost way to do video conferencing using laptops and camcorders and free software. Check out their wiki here. They then created intra-district events that were really innovative. They took struggling Middle School readers, gave them picture and story books, which they would normally be too embarrassed to read, even if those books were at their reading level, and then created a video conference where those students read those books to elementary students. The Middle Schoolers practiced their reading (without knowing) and then had the opportunity to contribute to the younger students, all in a way that engaged all the students.
  • Educational Technology staff members in the Bronx (here's their wiki) shared a program where High School students created documentaries, and in the process learned storytelling and research skills. And created a really compelling documentary on the history of their High School.
  • A graduate student in Instructional Technology at NYIT shared research she did in which she allowed struggling students create their own curriculum with technology and through which the students did amazing work.

I left so inspired and so challenged and with so many ideas to try and sit with and let percolate.

2 comments:

Brian C. Smith said...

Thanks for writing about NYSCATE Metro! I enjoyed several of the sessions I attended and all the conversation that took place. I'm from Upstate Western NY so it was great to learn more about what is happening in the downstate and NYC schools. I invite you to join the NYSCATE Ning network at http://nyscate.ning.com to add your voice and connect with more NYSCATE members and educators.

Gerald Ardito said...

I also really got a lot from all the sessions and conversations I had with all kinds of educators and edtech folks.

I look forward to participating on the NYSCATE Ning network you have created. Thanks for the invite.