Monday, September 10, 2007

Knock Knock Joke

I have been interested in how it is that we give our students an opportunity to develop not just understanding, but ownership.

This afternoon, I listed to my 3 year old niece and her 5 year old brother (try to) tell me "knock knock" jokes. As often happens, they had the pattern, but didn't get the punchline (so to speak).

It make me think of what it takes to cross the bridge from knowledge to understanding to ownership. Somehow, we need to create a set of experiences for our students (and our selves) that facilitates moving from the pattern (or the basics) of some piece of content to a deep understanding, and finally the ability to generate knowledge for ourselves.

Knock knock.
Who's there?
Orange.
Orange who?
Orange you glad I didn't talk about technology?

No comments: